As most of you know our twins arrived in the early morning of August 15th, 2010. After being hospitalized on strict bedrest for 75 days, the twins arrival was VERY quick.
On August 10th after being in the hospital for exactly 10 weeks my high risk doctors allowed me to go home on bedrest for the remaining of my pregnancy. They were thrilled at how far I had gotten and thought I would be just fine at home. I was a little nervous about this since I was 90% effaced, 5cm dilated, and contracting every 10 minutes, but I trusted the doctors and was ecstatic about being with Harrison.
When I walked in the house that afternoon I was greeted by a little boy whose mouth was wide open in disbelief. He smiled and shook. Hugging him at that moment was one of the best feelings I have ever had, I never wanted to let go. I thought it would take Harrison some time to warm back up to me, that was not the case at all. He was very clinging, which was okay with me! He sat on the couch by me where I had to lay and was a little helper getting me water when I needed it :)
On August 14th I woke up not feeling exactly right. I had a few "cramps" with my usual contractions around 6am, but then it stopped. Then again around noon I had a few more. I didn't think this was labor but I also knew something was different. For those of you who don't know my water broke with Harrison and then I was given pitocin to induce labor, so I had no idea what "my labor" actually felt like. Because of all of these factors I had my mom spend the night just in case we needed to go to the hospital. Well my intuition was right, because at 1:30am after about an hour of going back and forth on whether or not to go to the hospital we decided to go. I really didn't want to go because I knew once there I wasn't leaving until the babies arrived however long or short that was.
At 1:37am we pulled out of our driveway and headed to the hospital, those cramps in my lower abdomen started to intensify and radiate to my lower back. At 1:50am we were being admitted into labor and delivery. I was told to go put a hospital gown on. As soon as I went to the bathroom to do so, BOOM! My water broke! I knew it wasn't long and kept telling the nurses to hurry. They didn't seem to believe me. I was telling Pierce to go and get a doctor or somebody and fast because the twins were coming. Finally a resident came in to check me. I knew as soon as I saw her face I was ready. She said, "uhhh she's 10cm dilated get her to the O.R. now!" I said, "Can I please have an epidural!!". I was given an epidural however, the babies came before it ever had a chance to work :)
At 2:39AM after 4 pushes, Bennett Walter Lehr was born. Weighing 4lbs 8oz and measuring 18inches. About 6 pushes and 7 minutes later at 2:46am his brother Charles Theron Lehr. Weighing 4lbs 110z and measuring 19.5inches. Both were crying and therefore breathing, music to our ears. The neonatologist said they looked wonderful and would just need some time to eat and grow. We were both thrilled! After 13 days in the NICU Bennett came home and one week later Charlie was home. Pierce and I are in constant awe of these tiny yet very strong people.
Harrison has been very good with the twins...most of the time :) He likes to love on them and give them kisses and hugs. He always tells them "hi" in this little high pitched voice. I think he does this because we all talk to them in a high pitched voice, its pretty cute. The only problem we face is mommy time. He doesn't like when I have to feed or when I pay to much attention to the twins and not him. I know this will pass, but it is a little tough right now!
Every time I look at these little miracles I am reminded of the biggest challenge I was ever faced with. A challenge I overcame. to receive the ultimate gift. Now we get to look, love, and snuggle with these precious little gifts. I am so thankful for the health of these babies and for the doctors who did everything they could to keep them growing. I know the outcome could have been very different VERY easily. I thank God everyday for ALL of my little boys, my family that was so supportive of us, and my husband who was so strong throughout this ordeal.
We are so excited to watch our children grow and for what the future brings us! Thank you again for all of your prayers and support, it paid off!!


No comments:
Post a Comment